So here is where we are.
Guards are neither part of an exclusionary group, nor are they without it. And there focus is the smaller of the 2 factions.
Upon thinking of other exclusionary groups, MENSA being one of them it occurred to me that there are 2 types of groups. And of these 2 types of groups each guards role changes slightly.
There are exclusionary groups, the kind by which the membership flow out is not a concern, but the membership in is. A high society group like MENSA is less concerned with their members continuing participation in membership activities and more concerned about excluding those who dont belong.
Then there are inclusionary groups. Groups that are more concerned with the activities of their members. Not so much caring where and how the members arrived, but once they are there, the activities within the group are more closely monitored.
In an exclusionary group, guards police those who are out. Protecting WHAT is within
In an inclusionary group, guards police those who are in. Protection WHAT is out.
So now its time for some introspection. Examining yourself. I care not and really just writing this for myself. So here is my introspection. Of the groups i belong to,
Of those, what kind of group are they?
- Work - Exclusionary. They monitor who comes in, once they are in they stay in based on their interview. There was an analysis of compatibility, that checked out. There was as assesment of skills and that was checked out, they offered me membership. Is there eternal policing that happens, sure! Not to the level of inclusion though.
- Church - Inclusionary. My journey and membership was never hard or extremely scrutinized. However, my current actions do get examined. Although my church is not a negative place, there is a much greater guardship of my current actions and behavior then there is at keeping people out.
- Neighborhood - Inclusionary. Again, not like i live in a country club, but my current actions effect my neighbors more than application for residence does. How loud i play my music is scrutinized but my neighbors could give two hoots about my credit score.
- City - Inclusionary. My residency is not up for debate as long as i follow the rules
- State - Inclusionary. Same as with city
- Country - ???? Interesting. If I am a polish jew living in 1930 and am seeking refuge in the united states, all of a sudden this is an exclusionary group, but if I was born here, its inclusionary. As long as I dont violate my countrymen so egregiously that I must be seperated from them.
- Continent - As far as i know, there has been no example in which a country was relocated from its continent. However, there has been war. typically existing between one country and another. A USA example would be that of Texas and Mexico. This tends to lend itself towards exclusionary membership. Once you are in, you are good. But dont you try to come in if we dont want you here.
- Planet - Exclusionary. Although i am not a big alien person, should we get little green men coming to visit us, We earthlings would want to establish some rules for which these visitors can exist in our space and keep the peace. i.e. no running in the halls, stay on the sidewalk, no vaporizing our fresh water resources to replenish your hydro-powered warp drives.
This is a long post so i will try to define a guard in each of these places in the next post.